A good sugar cookie recipe is something I am always looking for. I have tried probably ten different recipes, and I think I finally found one that I will use from now on. This recipe actually has a really great flavor without the addition of frosting. The cookies pictured are from the Super Bowl party- pretty much the only time I have the patience to make these uber time-consuming cookies.
The Best Sugar Cookies
1 8oz pkg Light Philadelphia brand Neufchatel Cheese, softened
1 cup Parkay Margarine (2 sticks)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Combine neufchatel cheese, margarine, sugar and extract, mixing until well blended.
3. Add flour; mix well.
4. Chill dough several hours or overnight.
5. On slightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness, cut with 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 inch cutters.
6. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake at 375 8-9 minutes or until edges are browned.