Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Koi Pond Project

If you read our other blog MegaFireOnYourFace you may have seen a few pictures of what Brian and I (99% Brian) have been working on for the past couple of weekends.  We have been creating a water feature next to our patio, as well as a fenced-off outdoor storage area.

This has been a pretty fun project, and I think it will look really good next to our patio once all of the landscaping is completed.

The first step of the project was to mark off the future site of the pond and then dig a hole the shape of it.





The next step was to pour a layer of sand in the bottom of the hole so the liner has something to rest on and will help keep it's shape (unlike rock-hard clay that can shift and potentially cause the plastic to crack).  Then you put the liner in and surround the lip with a layer of dirt so that when rocks are placed around the edge they are sitting on a mound of dirt, as opposed to the plastic lip of the pond (which would crack under the weight of the rocks).

Then you take a break and spend the weekend out at Kansas Speedway watching the truck races get rained out and the Indy Cars run while listening to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Talladega race on your headset.



Next we surrounded the liner with our stockpile of massive (and not so massive) red rocks we had been collecting since we'd moved into this house.



But this wasn't quite the look we were going for.  The water feature really needed something.... and then Brian remembered Chris had found these really awesome looking black slate rocks in a creek near his house, so we went hunting for them last Sunday afternoon.  They were a little hard to find because the creek was running high and fast. Brian eventually crossed the river and found a ton of them (too bad they were on the other side of the river). Long story short, after Brian collected them and brought them back across the river we acted like pack mules and transported them back to the truck. The walk back was kind of insane, we were transporting a total of about 150 lbs of rocks on our backs and we couldn't even stand up straight or we would fall backwards (a funny site for passer bys I'm sure). Ultimately we managed to score enough to work perfectly around the pond.  Here's the current set-up:



Much better!  It's going to look really good when it is surrounded by mulch and landscaping.

And we have to give a huge shout out to our friend Nate, who came up Saturday to help Brian dig the post holes for the storage area, pick up cement and 8 foot 4x4s, and move a large tree from the front to the back.  Thanks Nate!!  It got me out of doing all of the crappy manual labor so I could work on getting my flower pots populated.

Here is a view of Brian readying the fence posts for concrete (I did help with this part) and the tree.



Here comes the concrete!

Hopefully the weather stays nice this week so we can have a finished project by Mother's Day!

3 comments:

  1. Looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks awesome. Can't wait to see it in person, and full of fun little fish!

    ReplyDelete