Monday, July 19, 2010

Prairie Home Fair and The Farm

We recently had the pleasure of camping out near Boonville, Missouri at our friend Shanon's dad's family farm (180 acres in Prairie Home, MO).  He doesn't actually live on the farm, but their family goes out every year during the Prairie Home Fair and hunting season, and this year we were invited along.

Brian left for the farm before I did on a Friday evening (I was stuck at work).  It takes about 1.5 hours to get to the exit off of I-70, and then another 30 minutes to get to the farm.  The farm is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and very secluded.

After setting up the camper and getting a tour of the house, barn, sheds and pond, Brian, Shanon and Jessica ventured to the fair to see the four-wheel competition until it was time to come pick me up at the I-70 exit.  The first time you go out to the farm it's a good idea to meet someone at the gas station near I-70 and follow them out because there's not an actual address for the farm you can put into a gps or Google map.

I met them at 11 P.M. and followed them out to the farm.  The turn onto the driveway is pretty hidden from all the trees and brush, so if you didn't know where you were going it could be easily missed!  I didn't get much of a tour since it was dark outside, but I did get a tour of the house.  It's basically a shell for sleeping.  We think the house is probably 100 years old, and hasn't had much maintenance in about the same time!  There is running water and electricity, but really not much else.  They have the place set up with a bunch of beds so people can crash in the house during hunting season, but I think people spend most of their time outdoors.  I've never really experienced anything like this house.  Too bad we didn't get any pictures.  :(

On Saturday morning we had breakfast at the Isle of Capri Casino in Boonville.  It was suprisingly good as Brian and I both had two rounds!  We then went on a tour of Boonville and into a Pawn Shop on the main drag.

By the time we got back to the farm, Shanon's family had arrived, so we chatted with them for a while and then took a two hour nap.  When we woke up we found Shanon and Jessica cleaning a bunch of fish they had caught at the pond and were excited to go fishing ourselves the next morning.

We went to eat dinner Saturday night at La Hacienda (you guessed it, Mexican!).  The food was good, but our waitress was the worst I'd ever seen.  We almost said something to her, it was that bad, but we just decided not to leave a tip instead.

Once stuffed on chips, salsa and fajitas we went to the fair.  Saturday night is the big horse show and we were able to see some of the beginning of it.  I guess the portion we saw was a costume contest, but unfortunately there was some sort of scheduling mix-up and neither the contestants, the announcer, nor the judges knew what was going on.

We grew tired of waiting for more horses so we decided to watch Shanon's niece ride the amusement rides and even decided to ride the ferris wheel ourselves.  It had been a very long time since I've ridden a carnival ride, let alone the ferris wheel.

After the fair we went back to the farm and started a bonfire- always our favorite part of camping!  Everyone was pretty worn out and we knew we wanted to get up early to go fishing in the morning so we turned in around midnight.

On Sunday we got up at 7am, got our fishing gear and headed to the pond.  Brian did all the fishing while I steered the canoe.  We enjoyed ourselves, except we didn't catch a single fish!!  Supposedly there are a ton of bass and crappy in the pond, but we sure didn't see any!

Shanon, Jessica and her dad caught a few fish, but apparently we bring the worst luck ever.  Usually people can fish for an hour and catch ten easily, but luck was not on our side.  Oh well, next time!  It just got us excited (ok, Brian got excited) to do some more fishing.

I think Shanon felt really bad for us because she gave us the fish they had caught on Saturday to take home and eat.  We really appreciated it because it made a great dinner on Sunday- thanks again guys!

The sky started to get cloudy so we decided to head home before the rain hit.  We didn't quite make it because we drove through an awesome electrical storm and then a torrential downpour that caused a lot of people to pull off the highway- it was just us and the semis trying to navigate through the rain.  We finally made it home, unpacked, vaccuumed, and took a nap.

We had a great time and hopefully we'll get invited back.  And we'll remember to take pictures of the inside of the house next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment